Sunday, July 15, 2012

Missing a friend





Drewsky gave me my first impression of redneck living when he described, in detail, how to castrate livestock. Probably the first person with a southern drawl I had ever met. The first time my roommates and I had our first of many to come hilarious moments with drew, He had just got in from playing volleyball and we ran into him in the Morris Center. He and I soon pointed out how noticeably short his shorts were. From then on he, a midst the other Drews in the ward, was, affectionately, Drew-short-shorts-Drew.

Drew never failed to show us all how to suck-it-up and be a man. It didn't matter if that related to Syrup on Spaghetti in the cafeteria with Chris, ironing board bobsleds, hidden hobo houses up provo canyon or even dating, you could be a man about anything.
One night during visiting hours Drew proved this by telling me a story about a date he had been on earlier that week. He was unsure of this girl but still ended up holding her had by the end of the date. "What?!" I asked, "Why did you do that?" Drew responded very innocently with, "It was an accident!" Rolling my eyes to his typical boy behavior I told him, "Drew, you don't just accidentally hold someone's hand." Trying to coax the truth out of him he finally said, "I wasn't trying to hold her hand...I was... reaching for more blanket. Her hand just kind of was there." "Are you kidding?!" I replied, "If you for sure DIDN'T want to lead her on why would you even risk sharing a blanket, let alone reaching for more?!" In a very matter of fact way drew just said, "I was cold."

The Drewsky we knew and loved never was discouraged and knew that nothing ever was a big deal enough to cry about it. I know his example touched everyone who knew him and even through his illness he continued to show me how to be a man. Love you, Drew. We miss you already.


No comments: